Saturday 11 May 2013

Autopilot....... Published Cambridge News 15 May 2013




Autopilot

On the way home
I must stop at the shop
             The dog needs a bone              
And we need a lot
There’s bread and there’s milk
And things of that ilk
The clothes were drycleaned
The shoes from the menders
I need some more petrol
There’s posting the letters

The car drives itself
While my mind wanders on
Its running in auto
Just coasting along
I drive down the road
Reciting my list
Anxiously wondering
What I have missed

My hands steer the wheel
While my eyes watch the road
My feet work the pedals
I observe highway code
I keep the speed limit
I stop at the lights
My mind's still in auto
At the junction turn right.
                                                        

And now I’ve got home
The key’s in the door
I can put down my shopping
Safe onto the floor 
 But what have I done?
Of bags there are none

How far have I got?
I've quite lost the plot
Did I stop at the shop?

Oh dear  -  I forgot...

No comments:

Post a Comment