Friday 9 May 2014

A Mother's Sons - Published Cambridge News 9 April 2014



 
A Mother's Sons
 
As I look at these three young me
My heart within me aches with pride
As babies I bore them and learned to adore them
Now they tower over me at my side
 
It was on my milk they grew and throve
As at my breast I tenderly fed them
I held their hands as they learned to stand
Through those first uncertain steps I led them
 
Delight at seeing that first smile
As I gazed at their eyes and saw them respond
So rewarding to watch them emerging
Between mother and son an unbreakable bond
 
Tiny, helpless and on me dependent
Swift hand of time then took its toll
From toddlers they changed to bony kneed boys
Abandoning me for their world of school
 
The challenging years of teenage fears
Rebellious, sullen or loving by turn
Rollercoaster of joy or strife and tears
At the end of the day they called me mum
 
I taught them to ride a bike and read
They grew tall and strong and I watched them thrive
Then each in turn they were ready to leave
But not before I taught them to drive
 
I gave them love and I gave them life
Together we crossed each bridge over water
But now each is a man in need of a wife
I must give him to another mother's daughter
 
The empty rooms, abandoned toys
The clothes outgrown, now men, not boys
Unflinching, unstinting, a mother's love embraces all
So handsome and tall - were they really once so small?
 
 



1 comment: